A-  A  A+ हिन्दी में
Vidhan Sabha
Bullet Governor
Image for Line
Image for Line
Bullet Speaker
Image for Line
Image for Line
Bullet Deputy Speaker
Image for Line
Image for Line
Bullet Chief Minister
Image for Line
Image for Line
Bullet Council of Ministers
Image for Line
Image for Line
Bullet Leader of Opposition
Image for Line
Image for Line
Bullet Parliamentary Affairs Minister
Image for Line
Image for Line
Bullet Principal Secretary
Image for Line
Image for Line
Bullet Organization of Secretariat
Image for Line
Image for Line
Bullet Constitution and Dissolution of Legislative Assembly
Image for Line
Image for Line
Bullet President's Rule
Image for Line
Image for Line
Bullet Dates of Budget Presentation
Image for Line
Image for Line
Image for Line
Bullet Reserved Seat
Image for Line
Image for Line
Bullet Library
Image for Line
Image for Line
Bullet Downloads
Image for Line
Vidhan Bhawan

The foundation stone of the grand building of the Council House (Vidhan Bhawan) was laid by the then Governor Sir Spencer Harcourt Butler on 15th December, 1922 and the building was inaugurated on 21st February, 1928. The construction of the building was done by Messrs Martin and Co. The Chief Architects were Sir Swinon Jacob and Sri Heera Singh. At that time a sum of Rs. 21 Lakhs was sanctioned for the building. The building is one of the finest examples of Indo-European architectural craftsmanship of the twentieth century. The front part of this crescent shaped two storeyed structure is built with carved light brown sandstone blocks from Mirzapur (Chunar). At the centre of the crescent is a large Gothic dome with an attractive “Chhatry” or sky light. Figures sculpted from stone blocks surround the facade of the dome. Above the tri-arched front of the portico is placed the State emblem (crest) carved in marble.

Many of the inside halls, galleries and verandahs are built of Agra and Jaipur marble. Beautiful circular marble staircases run on both sides of the entrance hall. The walls of these staircases have now been embellished with beautiful paintings.

The dome shaped Chamber is octagonal and it's circular roof is decorated in attractive inlay-work. A unique feature are the beautiful figures of dancing peacocks decorated at intervals on this roof. The sittings of the Legislative Assembly are held in this hall. There are large lobbies for Members on both sides of this hall.

In July, 1935 a proposal for construction of a new Chamber and office rooms for the new Legislative Council was made and the construction was entrusted to Messrs Ford and Macdonald. Under the supervision of the Public Works Department the extension was completed by Chief Architect A.L. Mortimer in 1937. The building of the Legislative Council is connected to the main Vidhan Bhawan building by verandahs with rooms on both sides. The sittings of the Legislative Council are held here.
 
Home | About Us | Rules | Members | Photo Gallery | Agenda | Proceedings | Committees |   RTI   | Contact Us
This Site is designed and hosted by National Informatics Centre. Contents are provided and updated by Vidhan Sabha Secretariat.
Best viewed with Mozilla Firefox 16.0.2 and above 1024x768 resolution